[blfs-dev] #6526: xf86-video-intel segfaults unless forcing uxa acceleration on current BLFS-svn.

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun May 24 17:04:18 PDT 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 03:26:47PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Armin K. wrote:

>>> Arch uses post-release GCC snapshots. So they already include all (most) patches
>> >from gcc 5 branch.
>>
>> For me the patch applies cleanly and the build is OK.  I'm running tests now.
>> I need to update some packages in LFS anyway so I'll add this patch and
>> start a new build on a system that uses the intel driver to see if that
>> fixes things up.  Since I'll need to build X on the new system, I may not
>> get to that until tomorrow.
>>
> I intend to continue with the released version of the driver, to see
> if I can get a backtrace when I build an unstripped system.
>
> If not, or if that gets blamed on gcc, it will be useful to know if
> the git version will build with a patched version of gcc.

I didn't do a git version, but I did build Xorg today with yesterday's LFS svn.
  I built the following drivers in this order:

libvdpau-1.1
libevdev-1.4.2
xf86-input-evdev-2.9.2
xf86-input-synaptics
xf86-video-intel-2.99.917
libva-1.5.1
libva-intel-driver-1.5.1
libvdpau-va-gl-0.3.4

My video is:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor
  Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated
    Graphics Controller

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz

With the patch in gcc, everything built fine, but with the default sna
acceleration I *did* get a seg fault.

Adding the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf file as in the current book did
allow Xorg to come up.

One other thing.  The first time I ran xorg, I had some driver failures.  It was
easily fixed by running ldconfig, but we might want to consider adding that to
the instructions to run startx at the beginning of Xorg-7.7 Testing and
Configuration.

   -- Bruce