[blfs-dev] giflib - it is barely used!

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon May 11 18:47:29 PDT 2015

I'd been going to tag giflib for gcc5, but only after I had been
able to confirm it works.  I've been building it for _ages_ and
assumed that it is generally used for dealing with gif files.
Wrong, probably because of the gif history.  For example, I had
assumed that the ImageMagick coders/gif.so lib for  would link to
it, but it doesn't.

It is apparently required by kdelibs, and recommended for openjdk,
as well as optional for mplayer.  So it belongs in the book.  But I
was surprised to discover that on my normal desktops (no kde, no
java, no mplayer) it is more or less redundant - there are a few
programs which it installs, but none of them look useful to me, e.g.
gif2rgb creates an output file (actually, files until you read the
manpage fully!) which 'file' describes as 'data', so no way of
telling if it is good or bad.

Anyway, now that I've again fired up the gcc5 system with kde, I can
confirm that kdelibs used it for libkhtml.so which is used by
khelpcenter.  So, I can treat it as a build dependency and tag it
when I get back to the tags.

ĸen