[blfs-dev] freeglut needs glu

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Fri May 1 15:10:00 PDT 2015

On 01-05-2015 18:37, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 05:38:16PM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>> On 01-05-2015 15:31, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>>>
>>> If we agree, I'll update the book to recommend GLU, turn off building
>>> the static lib, and turn off demos.
>>>
>>> So what we end up with is:
>>>
>>> cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
>>>       -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release  \
>>>       -DFREEGLUT_BUILD_STATIC_LIBS=OFF \
>>>       -DFREEGLUT_BUILD_DEMOS=OFF \
>>
>> Yes, please. Sounds good to me.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you choose FREEGLUT_REPLACE_GLUT=ON, does it mean
>> we could archive freeglut?
>>
>> Does it replace the freeglut in the system? If we keep freeglut but it
>> can be overwritten, some warning is necessary. What do you think?
>>
> Sounds risky - if it sounds likely that will be a runner, I would
> want to build and test asymptote (or preferably, for somebody else
> to do that ;-) on a system without real freeglut - the kleinbottle4
> and torus16 variants in my asy testsuite use freeglut to create png,
> eps and pdf files.
>
> If I'm going to do that, it will mean building _another_ throwaway
> system so it will take a few days (both likely machines have things
> which I need to do on their existing systems).
>
> Probably, it will be fine.  But sooner or later one of the "easy
> peasy" changes will again bite us.

My main concern is the FREEGLUT_REPLACE_GLUT switch that I really don't
completely understand, Ken. If it replaces freeglut, then we have
trouble, if the replacement is not good.

Bruce, sorry for the delay. It took time to reply your first message and
to reply mine, just to write this paragraph, so I replied to Ken's one.
Reason is that Yahoo often thinks that you and I are spammers. So, in
the tablet I can see the message only when I remember that and go back
and forth to the spam folder. It has happened before and

--
[]s,
Fernando