[blfs-dev] DVD playing problems (parole, gstreamer-1.4)

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 31 10:00:03 PST 2015

I am replying, because yesterday, when updating the book to
libdvdread-5.0.2 and libdvdnav-5.0.3, mplayer gave me problems and also
I included in xine-lib-1.2.6 a comment "not recommended by upstream
developers" that I thought to modify to better English. Then, testing
today xine-lib-1.2.6, I found that we do need the opposite:
--with-external-dvdnav. So, decided to discuss a little, before
proceeding. More comments in-line, below.

On 16-09-2014 17:14, Ken Moffat wrote:
>  On 7.6 I'm having problems playing DVDs.  My drive shows up as
> /dev/sr0, and has a /dev/cdrom symlink but not /dev/dvd : that much
> is not new.

Same here.

LFS-7.5, i686

>  As I've previously noted, vlc is unusable for playng DVDs - plays a
> few seconds, then pauses for a few seconds - but it works enough to
> show that libdvdcss is installed.

It works fine here.

>  In xine, I can only play from the DVD option on the menu if I've
> made a /dev/symlink - and that, of course, goes when I power off.
> But under those circumstances it works.

Well, it did not play at all, complaining about "Missing symbols in
libdvdcss". Then, I assumed I needed to use the system libdvdnav, so
xine-lib would probably use system libdvdcss, which worked fine with vlc.

Now, I need to remove the comment and am almost convinced to recommend
system libdvdnav and include the switch. Opinions, please?

Given your problems, I tried to see if some configuration would help,
and found a solution. I edit file ~/.xine/config and added:

gui.osdmenu.dvd_mountpoint:/dev/sr0
media.dvd.device:/dev/sr0
media.dvd.raw_device:/dev/sr0

and it worked (seems that default, commented out in original file) is
/dvd or, more probably, your /dev/symlink (?).

FWIW, also added:

gui.experience_level:Advanced

necessary to have options for video driver. Can also be defined in the
config file:

video.driver:xv

Without this, it was trying to use libvdpau, which is installed but not
appropriate for vmware.

Also added:

audio.driver:alsa

because pulse is installed, but not being used in LXDE.

> With lsdvd and transcode I
> have managed to extract a vob file - again specifying /dev/sr0 - and
> both xine and parole can play that.  Actually, I just tried that in
> vlc, again it only plays for a second two before pausing, so I
> guess my vlc problem is with the dvd libs (it's fine with the mp4 I
> made using ffmpeg).

These, I haven't tested today. Don't know what lsdvd is.

>  But in parole, if I specify /dev/cdrom or /dev/sr0 I get an alert
> popup:
>
> GStreamer backend error
> Error parsing H.264 stream

I don't get this error, but found

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/parole/+bug/1278089/comments/7

<<running "parole --xv false" and then opening the file in Parole again
plays the video correctly>>

I'm trying to find how to modify the configuration, without success.
Discovered, though, that it is in file

~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/parole.xml

Now, changing to mplayer: can't play DVD with gmplayer, but with
mplayer, I can using:

mplayer dvdnav:// -nocache -mouse-movements -dvd-device /dev/sr0

Most of this will possibly interest only ĸen (or perhaps not anymore),
but my main points are:

1. Should libdvdnav be promoted to recommended for xine-lib (with added
switch --with-external-dvdnav)?

2. Does someone know how to permanently configure parole?

3. How to play DVD with gmplayer (mplayer's gui)?

--
[]s,
Fernando