[blfs-dev] MesaLib-10.4.3 make failed for libtool-2.4.2, solution is simple

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Mon Jan 26 10:53:10 PST 2015

On 26-01-2015 15:18, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

>>> My old -dev system has 2.4.2 and my new one 2.4.4, but I haven't build X
>>> for the new system yet.  I can do that today if necessary and check
>>> Mesalib instructions.  Do you need me to do that?
>>
>> I think both are amd64 systems, right? I don't know the architecture of
>> Igor's and Pierre's systems. It could be interesting confirming or not
>> that you have problem with the old system with 2.4.2, so we could be
>> more specific in the Note. One more thing is that probably you are using
>> GCC older than mine, there (?), mine is current 4.9.2.
>>
>> So, please, both tests would be much appreciated, but I believe you
>> don't need to do it in the new machine without X yet, as they have
>> already been done by Pierre and Igor.
>
> OK, using the instructions in the book, I get:
>
> make[4]: Entering directory '/tmp/mesalib/Mesa-10.4.3/src/util'
>   CC       libmesautil_la-hash_table.lo
> libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.4.4, but the
> libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.4.2.
> libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.4.4
> libtool: and run autoconf again.
> Makefile:634: recipe for target 'libmesautil_la-hash_table.lo' failed

Yes, from memory, exactly what I got. So, it seems the instructions
might remain as I did in r15391 and forgot to inform.

> If I change the instructions to:
>
> autoreconf -fi &&
> ./configure  CFLAGS="-O2" ...

Yes. the Note has that as alternative to the sed.

I believe that just changing the default to this (with -v, perhaps)
would make the Note unnecessary. Not sure about that though, because it
was like that untill somebody changed to use the autgen.sh script, which
is essentially that, but without the -f option.

There is a note in the bad libtool generated by autogen.sh (or does it
come bundled?) after some pages after the head recommending not to edit
what follows, but after our experiments today, I have the impression
that it is not really a problem generating a new one when we use
autoreconf -fi && ./configure  CFLAGS="-O2" ...

> It builds fine.  I didn't install though.
>
> gcc-4.9.1, libtool-2.4.2, lfs SVN-20140908, x86_64.  Do you need me to
> do a test build on a LFS-7.5 system also?

Don't know. Seem to remember post telling that we support 2 previous
releases. But you are a much better judge of that. Perhaps it is built
without problem there? If you don't mind, it might be interesting.

--
[]s,
Fernando