[blfs-dev] Grammar, Spelling, and Formatting changes

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 24 19:07:39 PST 2015

On 1/24/2015 8:44 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 08:26:36PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have spent the last half hour perusing the BLFS book and have discovered
>> that there are numerous grammatical, spelling and formatting errors in the
>> rendered book. I have some free time and I would like to clean up some of
>> the issues.

>   Hi Randy,
>
>   I hope you will not enforce Americanisms or American spelling if the
> current text uses a valid British (or Australian, or New Zealand)
> form.  I'm thinking of words rather than where commas go.

My comments and intentions have nothing to do with Americanism/Otherisms,
instead, have to do with blatant errors in grammar, spelling, and format
stuff that was decided on years ago. These are changes that will correct
really obvious mistakes.

>   But my main concern is that BLFS is changing so fast - fixing our
> grammar and formatting will be a continuing struggle (just like the
> ongoing struggle in kernel comments/documentation between those who
> can spell and those who cannot), and is likely to impact people who
> are making other changes - nothing wrong with that in itself, but it
> would be nice to have an idea of where you will be looking.

I agree that the target is fast changing. However, correcting mistakes
that one finds as he reads through the book should be encouraged. The
problem is that if I make changes, you would have to follow -BOOK to
see them. I'm not sure anyone is willing to do that. It almost seems
impossible to try and advertise each change I make on -DEV before
making the change.

I suppose there must be a matter of trust here. And I'm asking the
community to trust me on this one.

--
Randy