[blfs-dev] Grammar, Spelling, and Formatting changes

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 24 18:44:06 PST 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 08:26:36PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have spent the last half hour perusing the BLFS book and have discovered
> that there are numerous grammatical, spelling and formatting errors in the
> rendered book. I have some free time and I would like to clean up some of
> the issues. I am not trying to undermine anyone's work on the project,
> instead, I think I can add helpful additions.
>
> Though I am a mathematics major, I feel comfortable using standard US
> English and I feel that I can make changes that will make the book better.
> It may not be technically better, but it will be proofread and edited to
> provide a more readable product.
>
> Some of the issues are due to non-native English speakers/writers contributing
> to the book. This is not meant as a ploy to get anyone to discontinue working
> on the book or to discredit anyone's work. It is my way of contributing
> something that will make the book better. I have spent hundreds (thousands?)
> of hours working on BLFS since 2004 and would like to contribute again.
>
> Please reply if you have concerns with my intentions.

 Hi Randy,

 I hope you will not enforce Americanisms or American spelling if the
current text uses a valid British (or Australian, or New Zealand)
form.  I'm thinking of words rather than where commas go.

 But my main concern is that BLFS is changing so fast - fixing our
grammar and formatting will be a continuing struggle (just like the
ongoing struggle in kernel comments/documentation between those who
can spell and those who cannot), and is likely to impact people who
are making other changes - nothing wrong with that in itself, but it
would be nice to have an idea of where you will be looking.

ĸen