[blfs-dev] Perl Modules and wget-list

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Sat Jan 24 07:56:04 PST 2015

On 01/24/2015 04:08 PM, Armin K. wrote:
> On 01/24/2015 03:59 PM, Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 02:23:12PM +0100, Armin K. wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've noticed a lot of Perl Modules tickets last night and wondered why
>>> they weren't picked up by the currency scripts. After some
>>> investigation, the format used for specifying the URL and md5sum isn't
>>> the standard one used by other packages and none of the perl modules end
>>> up in the wget-list.
>>>
>>> It can easily be fixed, although. The attached patch modifies the
>>> Archive-Zip section to use a layout like other packages do. An example
>>> on what's visibly different can be seen in the screenshot. It could be
>>> changed to use the more standard (Download (HTTP), MD5Sum, etc)
>>> approach, but I don't think it's necessary here.
>>>
>>> Now, if nobody minds, I can fix all the packages and submit a patch. I
>>> would also like to move download url's and md5sums into entities at the
>>> beginning of the page.
>>>
>>> Pro is we get version checks from currency scripts and all the modules
>>> in the wget-list. I can't yet see any cons. So if anybody has any
>>> suggestion or reason why we shouldn't do this - please speak up.
>>>

>>  The problem with perl is that if the maintainer of a module
>> changes, the link points to the old versions and the new version is
>> not found.  When I checked versions in August, two modules had
>> different maintainers.
>>
>>  So a few updates will still slip through the net.  But if this
>> change means most of them are automatatically noticed, it will
>> definitely help.
>>
>>  For the new tickets, no rush - I'm preparing for a new build, got a
>> few more things to sort out before I start the build (and I've also
>> got a lot more perl changes than this, some of which look as if they
>> might pull in new dependencies,
>>
>> ĸen
>>

> We could use search.cpan.org infrastructure. Even if maintainer changes,
> they point to the new one, ie.
>
> http://search.cpan.org/dist/XML-Writer/
>
> I'm currently looking into it.

It's done, now every package is properly detected, even the Biber module
which had the directory changed from previous version. It did require
adding an URL override for all of the modules, which makes me wonder
would it upset Bruce to add 200+ new lines to the currency script (It
would upset me a little to be honest).

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.