[blfs-dev] xindy - need to build in C locale

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Sat Jan 24 00:05:33 PST 2015

Le 24/01/2015 01:53, Ken Moffat a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 09:59:17PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

[...]
>  The problem is during the build, so a user building as themself in
> a UTF-8 locale need tso do this.  I guess that jhalfs builds using
> the 'C' locale ?

Confirmed. Actually, for LFS, "LC_ALL=POSIX" is in .bashrc for user "lfs", and
in jhalfs-BLFS, there is an envars.conf file, which has LC_ALL=C by default.

>  Do we have a preferred form of words for telling people that they
> need to do that ?  e.g. mention it in the note, somehow save LC_ALL
> if different, set LC_ALL, build, restore ?  And is POSIX the same as
> 'C' for LC_ALL, and if so, do we prefer that ?
Bruce answered. A third possibility is to enclose the commands with parentheses:
( LC_ALL=C
last instruction )
I think it is equivalent to using bash, except that all variables are passed,
not only environment ones.

Pierre