[blfs-dev] xindy - need to build in C locale

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:17:38 PST 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:

[snip]

>   What I do not understand is why my two-pass builds from texlive
> worked on x86_64 but not on i686.  For xindy-2.5.1 it is possible
> that something changed (or, at very long odds, maybe something in
> perl), but now that I understand the problem I'm off to ensure that
> all my scripts export LC_ALL=C.
>
>   The problem is during the build, so a user building as themself in
> a UTF-8 locale need tso do this.  I guess that jhalfs builds using
> the 'C' locale ?

I believe it does.  grep for LC_ALL in the jhalfs directory.

>   Do we have a preferred form of words for telling people that they
> need to do that ?  e.g. mention it in the note, somehow save LC_ALL
> if different, set LC_ALL, build, restore ?  And is POSIX the same as
> 'C' for LC_ALL, and if so, do we prefer that ?

C and POSIX are synonymous.   In LFS we use LC_ALL=POSIX in Section 4.4,
but there are places where

If you change LC_ALL in a script, you don't need to unset it, but we
don't assume that.  For the book, you can use either

SAVE_LC_ALL=$LC_ALL
LC_ALL=POSIX  (or C)
LC_ALL=$SAVE_LC_ALL

or
bash
LC_ALL=POSIX  (or C)
exit

It works out to about the same.

Does this mean we can get ticket #5926 closed?

   -- Bruce