[blfs-dev] Should I remain an editor?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:15:07 PST 2015

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

> Yes, I am over sensitive and I read between the lines. But unfortunately
> I am like that.

We will accept your foibles if you will accept ours.  :)

> The problem with Poppler is similar to others I had (gedit, Qt - the
> latter happened mostly privately). Those are jobs different from the
> other, I need days, sometimes week, after completion, in the public ones
> asked for discussion that didn't happen, in the private one, I was
> surprised to see the job being taken and done differently of what I wanted.
>
> Consequences of these:
>
> 1. "Drive me down" (in the words of Armin).
>
> 2. I consider not to be qualified for big changes in the book. Every
> time it is needed, I will give back to the book the ticket. Each time I
> am overruled. This implies not doing a job that needs to include anew
> page. With feh, I did need to include one dependency in the book, but I
> was already affected by this qualification doubt and just sent to an
> external link.

It is *much* easier to fix something than to author it.  If a big change
is made, then that is a good basis for discussion or update.  Please
don't just give up making these changes.  The nature of svn is that many
of us don't read every update.  Sometimes it will take a while to notice
things.

Another option is to discuss on -dev before making changes to the book.

> The more you work with some page, the more you get attached to it.

The more I work with you, the more attached I get.  :)

> Shortly, it is a waste of my time doing any major change in the book.

No, it's not.

> And the pages cited above will not be edited by me in the future.
>
> Another reason is to protect myself, because I am over sensitive.
>
> Other jobs that I will not do anymore:
>
> Fix URL, run or fix test suite or doc instructions.
>
> Yesterday, I got a medical advisement of taking some time out, because
> the book is affecting my well being. The same from my sister.

That's understandable.  Take care of yourself first.  Please do what you
can at your own pace without affecting your physical or mental health.

   -- Bruce