[blfs-dev] [lfs-dev] Potential new format for LFS Books

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 9 12:04:25 PDT 2015

On Sun, Aug 09, 2015 at 01:00:25PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >
> >I've uploaded some screenshot pngs (resized to 800x600 so that most
> >people should be able to just click on them and see the whole iamge)
> >to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~ken/screenshots/
> >
> >firefox-regular.png : about 1200 pixels wide.  The scrollbar for the
> >sed is very annoying, it would be much better to drop the right
> >margin in my opinion and use almost the whole screen apart from the
> >column which contains the navigation.  A narrow right margin would
> >be ok.  Also, the Gperf text in the Next link is truncated.
>
> That's interesting.  On my system, I don't get that scrolling effect until I
> increase my font size to 200%.  My window is right at 1000 pixels wide.
> Also at that zoom level, the names of Next/Prev are not displayed.

[...]
> For me, resizing to a 900 pixel wide screen makes very little change.
>
> I am using Seamonkey.  When I go to Edit -> Appearance -> Fonts, I have the
> font size set at 14 pixels.  My screen resolution is about 95 dpi.
>
> What are your specs?

firefox on this box:
about:preferences#content -
Default font Liberation Sans 24 and from the Advanced tab there, for
Latin -

Proportional	Sans Serif 24
Serif		Linux Libertine G
Sans Serif	Liberation Sans
Monospace	monospace  size 28

I vaguely remember having to increase the sizes to make the text
readable when I changed the fonts.  They are now a _little_ bigger
than what I have in urxvt.

For qupzilla on this box, the fonts are all specified as 18 :
Liberation Serif for default and serif, Liberation Mono, Liberation
Sans (DejaVu Sans for Fantasy and Cursive).

Changing the firefox sizes back to 18 the text is still readable.  I
still have scrollbars in bison and intltool.  Will take pics of the
chapter 6 toc, bison, intltool as -18 (firefox).  Done - you'll see
how this mail looked in the same pics, to show that the text is not
insanely huge (it was big before, but not huge).

Ah, I think I remember - my homepage in firefox is /. and the text
there now looks slightly small - it's only wheh I increase it to 24
that I find it comfortable [ unlike many of the opinions there, which
are usually just plain weird ].

> I took a couple of snapshots to show what I have.  The browser window is
> about 920 pixels wide and about 1000 pixels high.
>
> http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/snapshots/
>
> There are two versions of each screenshot.  The full versions are 1920x1200
> and the others are at 50%.
>
>   -- Bruce

To me, the TOC still looks unbalanced, but not badly.  For intltool
you _just_ manage to fit the install command.

Ny backups have now finished, I'll shut this machine down and go
back to the other one.  I'm fairly sure that one uses different
fonts.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven: but only on a clear day, with the wind in
the right direction.