[blfs-dev] Small correction suggestion to SDL

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 7 11:20:22 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 09:47:41AM -0500, Douglas R. Reno wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Fernando de Oliveira
> <famobr at yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> >> This would also work I guess, but from what I've read, then also X11 and
> >> alsa will be loaded using dlopen(), probably resulting in inferior
> >> performance. The

I had not noticed Igor's change (or, I saw it but forgot it when I
updated my scripts - the effect is the same) so I have been using
--prefix=/usr --disable-static.

Most of the packages which use SDL are AV libs or apps, and it
becomes hard to know when they actually use SDL in my use-cases.
But qemu definitely uses SDL (along with X, of course) and I have
not noticed any performance issues.

> >> ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static --disable-sdl-dlopen
> >>

> >> fixes that, but at the cost of disabling the ability of dlopening any
> >> other stuff. The
> >>
> >> ./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-static  --disable-alsa-shared
> >> --disable-x11-shared
> >>

> >> sees to be the best compromise.

> > Thinking of removing --disable-sdl-dlopen and adding it and your
> > suggestions at "Command Explanations", with your explanations.
> >
> > Are there more opinions, please?
> >
> As long as there isn't that much of a performance hit, I think that
> moving it to Command Explanations sounds very good.
>
> Douglas R. Reno

If you mean just omit --disable-sdl-open, then I agree : that (and
the other two --disable-fubar-shared variants, if anybody cares) can
go into optional command explanations.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven: but only on a clear day, with the wind in
the right direction.