[blfs-dev] Question about gst-libav

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 6 13:09:05 PDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:51:53PM +0200, Tim Tassonis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In Chapter 45. Multimedia Libraries and Drivers gst-libav-1.4.5, the package
> is describes as only depend on gst-plugins-base and neither libav nor
> ffmpeg.
>
> Is this really correct? Furthermore libav is not mentionend in the book at
> all. (undestandably, as it seems dead anyway).
>
>From memory, gst-ffmpeg-0.10 (from which it was forked) used its own
old copy of ffmpeg.  At one time in the distant past (ffmpeg-0.8, or
earlier) I think that I used to build gst-ffmpeg against system
ffmpeg, but eventually that was no logner possible (system ffmpeg
was too new).  So I assume that it uses its own copy of libav.

Taking a quick look at hte gst-libav tarball with 'view', most of
the files are in gst-libav-1.4.5/gst-libs/ext/libav/.

ĸen
--
This one goes up to eleven: but only on a clear day, with the wind in
the right direction.