[blfs-dev] A proposal

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Wed May 15 01:58:01 PDT 2013

On 05/15/2013 05:00 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
>> Possibly it's time to split the thing into smaller chunks?  The layers I
>> see are (roughly):
>>
>> 1) Infrastructure (chapters 3, 5-8, 10-12).
>> 2) Networking (chapters 4, 13-22)
>> 3) Multimedia (chapters 9, 23-25, 31-44)
>>
>> And then separate appendices on KDE and Gnome and XFCE and such.
>>
>> What I'm looking at is "what might people want to skip?"  A headless box
>> may not need any of the multimedia stuff.  A DVD player may not need any
>> of the networking stuff.  (It's likely that #2 and #3 are going to need
>> things out of #1, but they need stuff out of the base LFS too,
>> prerequisites are inevitable you just try to keep them under control.)
>
> We've gone through this before.  The problem is that there are too many
> inter-dependencies.  Right now we are looking at creating a separate
> branch for those packages that need systemd (e.g. most recent Gnome).
>
>     -- Bruce

I've been thinking ... By creating a seperate branch with systemd and
all that stuff, we can ditch nearly 1/3 of BLFS packages. We'd need to
discuss what we want to keep and what not. I'd certainly like to keep
some of the gnome apps (which don't heavily depend on desktop related
packages). I'll take a look on the weekend.