[blfs-dev] Cancelling of proposed BLFS package freeze

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:19:05 PDT 2012

Baho Utot wrote:
> On 07/23/2012 11:27 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I think we should cancel the proposed BLFS package freeze.  In the last
>> six weeks there were 157 entries in the change log.  There are currently
>> 36 open tickets for additional changes.
>>
>> The package update cycle it just too rapid for a package freeze.  Any
>> definite release will immediately become obsolete.  I think we should
>> continue the rolling updates as we are doing now.

> How far back does this "rolling release" work 6.5, 6.8, 7.0 and above?
> I was waiting for all of this to stablize before beginning on a
> "updated" build.

> I intented to build 7.2 lFS/BLFS when they became available in Sept?

You can still do that.  We're planning the LFS release as normal, but
the packages in BLFS should be marked as last tested in release 7.x.  I
believe all the packages have been tested to at least 7.0.  The problem
is that if we do a package freeze, there will be some significant
package updates within BLFS almost immediately.   If every package only
released once a year, then BLFS will have 2 updates needed, on average,
almost every day.

   -- Bruce