[blfs-dev] [blfs-book] r10419 - in trunk/BOOK: . introduction/welcome x/installing

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:38:54 PDT 2012

Armin K. wrote:

>> For combining / and /usr, I'd think that the only thing needed would be:
>>
>> mkdir -p /usr/{lib,sbin,bin}
>> ln -s /usr/lib /
>> ln -s /usr/bin /
>> ln -s /usr/sbin /
>>
>> Then any install would hopefully "do the right thing".
>>
>> I'm not advocating this.  In fact I really don't like it, but that's the
>> way the commercial distros seem to be going.

> Well, whatever. I guess it should do the thing since we use make
> install, and that would only present an issue if you want to package
> something, since it would install stuff into /bin dir, but you can't
> overwrite symlink with a dir without breaking anything.

We would do that in LFS section 6.5, Creating Directories.  At that
point all directories are empty.

> Whenever it
> happens (if happens) we will come up with a strategy. For now, I
> wouldn't even think about it. I've done the merge, with packaging method
> ... Lot of patching was envolved there as well instructions change.
>
> Speaking of BLFS being as rolling, I guess we should change it from
> development (or svn) to rolling, since someone might expect release when
> something is in development, right?

The page on the web site says: 'Current BLFS (HTML)'.  The Title only
has a date, but doesn't say development.  The only hint is the download
directory segment of 'svn', but I don't think that needs to be changed.

   -- Bruce