[blfs-dev] Xorg Applications

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jul 12 18:11:45 PDT 2012

On 07/12/2012 02:35 AM, Guy Dalziel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 06:18:38PM -0400, Baho Utot wrote:
>> On 07/11/2012 01:54 AM, Guy Dalziel wrote:
>>
>> [putolin]
>>
>>> Can anyone recall why we don't build as root in the first place?
>> That's a good way to trash your system.
> As discussed before, I'm well aware of that; I was looking for an
> explanation beyond the obvious. I'm still convinced that compiling as
> root has issues with permissions of the compiled files. I'd also like to
> point out that a user can screw up their system just as quickly with
> 'sudo'; one can't protect the user completely from their own mistakes.
>
> The reason I agreed with the use of 'sudo' is because the potential for
> something to go wrong increases with the amount of commands one uses. My
> loop, however, doesn't really contain anything that could ruin the
> system. I leave out the 'rm -rf $packagedir' line and just bulk remove
> them when I'm done.

I compile and install to DESTDIR all as non-root.  That way if the
package has not built correctly it will error out as it can not
install/modify files into the root file system (Houston we have a problem).

This also lets me have a look before I copy to the working system.

Just need to chown -R 0:0 DESTDIR then make a tarball.  Just extract it
into the root filesystem and water ;)