[blfs-dev] Xorg Applications

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 11 16:29:40 PDT 2012

On 07/10/2012 10:52 AM, Armin K. wrote:
> Hi there. There was some talk about splitting Xorg Packages into
> seperate ones. I went with Xorg Applications first. I did not make
> instructions for every package, since there are too many of them, and
> nearly all of them are required at runtime of Xorg Server, so it's
> dependency list would become big. Anyways, I took the way of generating
> the wget and md5sum lists manualy instead of putting them to server.
> These lists are generated using xml entities of each package.
>
> You can see how that looks here:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/xorg/x/x7app.html
>
> Also, there is a patch for that at
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/xorg.patch.gz if desired.
>
> I won't commit anything if someone does not like that way.
>
> Drivers splitup is next on my TODO list.
>
> Comments?
Excellent! Thanks Armin. Looks good. What I was thinking earlier is what
you have, plus the loop to build the packages, using sudo as mentioned
elsewhere in this thread. I have a list of seds that you can use as
instructions to automate adding the packages and md5sums to the xml on
-support in the thread titled "Worlds worst sedder". There were a couple
of other things I wanted to do with the page, but what you have now can
be committed any time as that immediately fixes the problem of
individual package upgrades.

The other things I wanted to do were to get rid of the wget file and
just use the md5 file for both - just run the grep on the md5sums file
and then pipe to awk '{print $2}'. I had also planned to add some abuse
of bridgehead and segmented list for package descriptions for those who
wish to build the packages separately. The first of those two is easy,
and the other will be time consuming, plus I haven't gotten output I
like yet, but both of those can wait. If you have the time and want to
do what you have above, please do so as time and interest permit.

-- DJ Lucas