[blfs-dev] polkit-1.0.6

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:44:12 PDT 2012

Armin K. wrote:
> On 3.7.2012 22:51, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I ran into two problems with polkit.   First, the default instructions
>> failed to make the man pages because I had a problem with my xml
>> configuration.
>>
>> /usr/bin/xsltproc -nonet --stringparam man.base.url.for.relative.links
>> /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/polkit-1/ --xinclude
>> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
>> polkit.xml
>>
>> warning: failed to load external entity
>> "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl"
>> cannot parse
>> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
>>
>> I can bypass this with --disable-man-pages, and fixing the xml
>> configuration also worked.  However we may want to add
>> --disable-man-pages as a part of the default instructions.  On the other
>> hand, we do say that docbook-xml and docbook-xsl are required if libsxlt
>> is installed and that may be enough.  It *is* reasonable to assume that
>> dependent packages are installed properly (which mine weren't).

> Why should we disable something by default if that works with the
> current instructions? It is clearly said that docbook-xml and
> docbook-xsl are required if libxslt is installed. I would rather suggest
> expanding the note saying that if libxslt is installed, but docbook
> stuff isn't present someone could add --disable-man-pages.

I wasn't suggesting disabling by default, just adding it to the command
explanations.  However expanding the note is reasonable too.  I can do
that.

>> Second, I get a test failure:
>>
>> /PolkitBackendJsAuthority/get_admin_identities: Error getting system
>> bus: Could not connect: No such file or directoryError loading
>> /var/run/ConsoleKit/database: Error statting file
>> /var/run/ConsoleKit/database: No such file or directory
>> **
>> (/tmp/polkit/polkit-0.106/test/polkitbackend/.libs/lt-polkitbackendjsauthoritytest:98
>>
>> I have not installed consolekit.  Is it a runtime dependency that needs
>> to be mentioned?  Note that I am building KDE and consolekit is only
>> mentioned in kde4workspace, but policykit is needed for polkit-qt.
>>

> Search the -support for the same problem. It is D-Bus that is problem,
> not ConsoleKit. And it is a bad thing recommending consolekit, since
> polkit is recommended for consolekit. It would be catch-22 situation.
> You can pass test without consolekit running, but not without d-bus running.
>
> Error getting system bus: Could not connect: No such file or directory.
> is the actual problem.

I was away when that was posted.  I usually read everything in -support,
but I just missed that.    I'm still running into a problem though even
with consolekit installed and dbus running:

Passed 9 tests.
PASS: mocklibc-test
=============
1 test passed
=============

PASS: polkitidentitytest
==================
All 4 tests passed
==================

make[3]: Entering directory `/tmp/polkit/polkit-0.106/test/polkitbackend'
/PolkitBackendJsAuthority/get_admin_identities: Error loading
/var/run/ConsoleKit/database: Error statting file
/var/run/ConsoleKit/database: No such file or directory21:14:15.982:
/tmp/polkit/polkit-0.106/test/data/etc/polkit-1/rules.d

I don't know how /var/run/ConsoleKit/database ever gets created.
/var/run is a tmpfs created at boot.  However the directory is there but
empty.

/tmp/polkit/polkit-0.106/test/data/usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d
21:14:15.984: Finished loading, compiling and executing 4 rules

At this point the process hangs.  ^C terminates with:

Cmake[3]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[3]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[2]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[2]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make[1]: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** wait: No child processes.  Stop.

What do the test results look like for you?

   -- Bruce