Non-standard X11 Paths

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:30:32 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:20:45PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> I have no problem with having methods in the book for both /usr and some
>> other location.  For me, I will continue to avoid /usr for the extensive
>> applications like X11, qt, kde, etc.
>
> Getting back to the original issue, how do you suppose we should deal with
> these packages that expect to find X at a specific location (Qt and Python
> in this case)? I realized that since both XFree86 and Xorg install the
> libXft pkg-config file, we can use that to substitute the users's correct
> path. Below has these changes.
>
> The alternative would be to symlink /usr/X11 (or maybe /usr/X11R6) to
> $X_PREFIX and call it a day.
>
> What do you think?

Well for qt, there are the options

-Istring ......... Add an explicit include path.
-Lstring ......... Add an explicit library path.
-Rstring ......... Add an explicit dynamic library runtime search path.
-lstring ......... Add an explicit library.

But I like the symlink option better as that makes it easier to swap
things around.  For X, I like /usr/X11 better than /usr/X11R6 because it
is more generic and doesn't contradict the fact that we are using R7
now.  /usr/X11 works for Python too.

  -- Bruce