Non-standard X11 Paths

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:20:45 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>> Currently there are a couple issues with packages finding X11
>>> components when they are installed to non-standard locations.

>>> Thoughts?

>> My head hurts.  Lets regroup and summarize the issues.

Thanks Dan.  That was a very good summary.

The reason I don't like /usr is that it makes if very difficult to
isolate the X11 package.  I think that isolating the package is a very
big advantage for LFS builders.  It allows building multiple versions
and switching between them with simple symlinks.

To a more conventional distribution, using /usr may make sense.  There
the upgrades are made via package managers and these upgrades have
already been well tested.  The need for backing up is far less than for
LFS.

I have no problem with having methods in the book for both /usr and some
other location.  For me, I will continue to avoid /usr for the extensive
applications like X11, qt, kde, etc.

  -- Bruce