Non-standard X11 Paths

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:50:52 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> Currently there are a couple issues with packages finding X11
> components when they are installed to non-standard locations. I'm not
> sure about the exact definition of non-standard, but it seems that
> widely accepted prefixes are /usr/X11R5, /usr/X11R6 and /usr/X11. /usr
> obviously works, too, since it's the standard toolchain search path.
> Here are the two problem areas I know about.

> Thoughts?

My head hurts.  Lets regroup and summarize the issues.

As I see it, there are issues on where to install X, qt, KDE, and Gnome.

There are assumptions in multiple packages about where to find libraries
and headers.  If the locations for these headers and libraries are in
places where these packages don't look, they have to be specified.  This
is not limited to the above.  I had to specify library and header
locations for mysql to qt the other day because qt didn't know where to
look.

For each package, we need to look at several issues:

1.  Where does the developer recommend?
2.  What locations do common distros use?
3.  What advantages and disadvantages exist for each location?
4.  What locations to other common packages expect?

Only after we look at all of these in combination can we make a
knowledgeable decision.  It may come down to personal preference, but at
least we will know the trade offs made when making those decisions.

Personally, I'd drop XFree form the book.  It's not really supported
that well. Very few people use it any more.  It complicates the
decisions needed above.

  -- Bruce