Incorrect Qt /usr install

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Fri Jun 8 21:48:17 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> Perhaps you can answer me a question then. What's the easiest way to
> analyze the Debian packages? Right now, I always have to download the
> _orig and the diff.gz and wade through the myriad files in the debian/
> directory.

The _orig is the original upstream tarball, possibly recompressed with gzip.
If "dfsg" appears in the name, then Debian thinks that upstream really has
no permission to distribute some original files under a free license, and
the tarball does not have such files.

The only files under "debian" that you want to look at are:

debian/changelog: the changelog. "FTBFS" means "failed to build from
source", "NMU" = "non-maintainer upload".

debian/control: contains descriptions of the resulting binary packages and
the dependencies.

debian/rules: the build script (or, more precisely, a Makefile). It is
supposed to be executable. The relevant target is "binary" (i.e., "fakeroot
debian/rules binary" is the Debian way to build binary packages from source).

If you want to see quickly what is inside the diff, install Midnight
Commander, navigate to the diff, and press Enter on it. Then you can copy
the relevant parts out. As an alternative method, most of Debian diffs apply
even without the package - just run "zcat ../package.diff.gz | patch -Np1"
in an empty directory.

As for their Qt install: they set QTDIR only during the build. The normal
environment does not have this variable, and "make xconfig" works fine in
the kernel tree. So maybe this variable is needed only with the /opt method?

> What would make things far easier is if there was something
> like the viewcvs interface for fedora.
>
> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/
>
> Anything like that? A changelog perhaps?

There is no central CVS-like repository for such things, but
http://snapshot.debian.net/ contains sources and diff.gz files for all
versions released in the past (except for those removed for licensing
reasons). See also:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/qt-x11-free
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/q/qt-x11-free/current/changelog

--