Incorrect Qt /usr install

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 8 08:11:44 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:

> I think this is the right thing to do because Qt naturally wants to
> install everything into a dedicated directory. As a consequence, tools
> that use Qt expect to find everything under $QTDIR. For bin and lib,
> this works fine if QTDIR=/usr. However, if you go to look in
> $QTDIR/include, you won't find qt.h. If you did the opt style install,
> you would find it there. What I've added makes it that way, too, since
> you will now see /usr/share/qt/include/qt.h.

Agreed in that it *works*. However, see below.

> As for FHS compliance, it's probably not. But neither is Qt.

The one-directory install of Qt (in /opt/qtX.XX for BLFS) is
compliant with the FHS (other than we don't use /etc/opt/qt).
And I thought the previous /usr install was also FHS compliant
(noted the problems you describe with $QTDIR).

I suppose what I'd like to see is a method that the TrollTech
folks recommend, and is compliant with the FHS. Isn't the /opt
method compliant with those two stipulations?

Regardless, I realize folks want stuff in /usr. But shouldn't
the book mention that the /usr method does not conform with
the FHS, but we provide these instructions as a courtesy?

--
Randy