[OT] Re: Organizing Xorg-7.2 external dependencies

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 10:08:15 PDT 2007

On 6/4/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > Actually, my main box is using an Intel G965 now
>
> Could you please test whether the latest SVN LiveCD supports it correctly?
>
> http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-pre2-r1903.iso

Sure, downloading it now. Sorry for not getting back sooner about the
LiveCD. It was one of the things I wanted to do.

> Notes:
>
> 1) This is again a remote build, I have not tested the CD at all and don't
> even know if it will boot on my computer
>
> 2) In your earlier mail, you mentioned jmicron. You may want to boot as
> "linux pata" instead of just pressing Enter (but please try both variants)

Sure. I've been using pata_jmicron for a little while now on 2.6.20.x
with my DVD writer. The only thing I had to change was to get the
10pre0 release of cdparanoia since it uses SG_IO. Without it, I needed
to have write accesses to the SCSI generic device. I believe this was
the necessary fix between versions:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/cdparanoia/cdparanoia-III-alpha9.8.sgio.patch?view=markup

Also, DVD writing is kind of buggy through dvd+rw-tools-7.0. I didn't
check earlier versions. But if I specify a slightly slower speed it
seems to work more often. My gut feeling is that it's a bug in
pata_jmicron since I have the same writer in the old machine and it
works fine at full speed. Haven't investigated, though.

> 3) If your computer has at least 1 GB of RAM, please test if "linux toram"
> or "linux pata toram" works - this will load the whole CD into RAM.

I'll give it a shot.

> There was an xv-related bug reported on xorg-devel list, so please also try
> playing a movie in xfmedia.

Which version of Xorg/drivers is this? Which bug? I know there are xv
bugs using the new intel driver. I've been using i810 still and
everything seems fine.

--
Dan