Organizing Xorg-7.2 external dependencies

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 06:34:59 PDT 2007

On 6/3/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >> This is because your X server does not have the XINERAMA extension (the
> >> same is true for the LiveCD, BTW). The following comment by Josh
> >> Triplett appeared at
> >> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6532373 yesterday:
> >
> > Excellent! Thanks for checking that out. Hmm, I still can't trigger it
> > even when I try to force on XINERAMA in the ServerFlags section.
>
> Please verify that you really have XINERAMA (run xdpyinfo). I could not make
> the server enable it on Radeon 9200LE with a single LCD monitor attached,
> and thus cannot reproduce the Java bug natively at home (and at work, too -
> Radeon 9250 with a CRT monitor there). Since you have the same video card, I
> am afraid this also applies to you.

Actually, my main box is using an Intel G965 now, but I don't think it
supports Xinerama either. At least the man page didn't say it was. I
was trying to enable Xinerama at the server level and forgot about the
driver level.

> Xnest -noreset -ac -geometry 640x480 :1 &>/dev/null &
> Xnest -noreset -ac -geometry 512x384 :2 &>/dev/null &
> Xdmx -display :1 -display :2 :3
> (it prints the failed assertion - I have to test if this is fixed in the
> latest git before reporting upstream, feel free to race with me)

There were a whole ton of fixes that went in for Xdmx since the last
release, so it's possible. I don't know if I have time to start
pulling and building an Xorg git stack.

> This is reproducible on the latest SVN LiveCD (and on
> http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-pre2-r1897.iso - sorry
> for other bugs, they are inevitable in a remote build).
>
> Yet another way: install VMware Server and reproduce the Java bug in a
> virtual machine (it is reproducible here). The virtual "vmware" driver
> supports XINERAMA if you add the following in xorg.conf:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier "Generic video card"
>         Driver "vmware"
>         Option "Xinerama" "on"
>         Option "StaticXinerama" "512x768+0+0;512x480+512+0"
> EndSection

Great. I'll try one of those out. I've been meaning to play with
VMware for a while, anyway.

--
Dan