Organizing Xorg-7.2 external dependencies

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Sun Jun 3 22:13:06 PDT 2007

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at ums.usu.ru> wrote:
>> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>>> I can't reproduce the bug here.
>> This is because your X server does not have the XINERAMA extension (the
>> same is true for the LiveCD, BTW). The following comment by Josh
>> Triplett appeared at
>> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6532373 yesterday:
>
> Excellent! Thanks for checking that out. Hmm, I still can't trigger it
> even when I try to force on XINERAMA in the ServerFlags section.

Please verify that you really have XINERAMA (run xdpyinfo). I could not make
the server enable it on Radeon 9200LE with a single LCD monitor attached,
and thus cannot reproduce the Java bug natively at home (and at work, too -
Radeon 9250 with a CRT monitor there). Since you have the same video card, I
am afraid this also applies to you. However, while trying to obtain a
XINERAMA-capable X server, I have found another testcase, without Java:

Xnest -noreset -ac -geometry 640x480 :1 &>/dev/null &
Xnest -noreset -ac -geometry 512x384 :2 &>/dev/null &
Xdmx -display :1 -display :2 :3
(it prints the failed assertion - I have to test if this is fixed in the
latest git before reporting upstream, feel free to race with me)

This is reproducible on the latest SVN LiveCD (and on
http://ums.usu.ru/~patrakov/test/lfslivecd-x86-6.3-pre2-r1897.iso - sorry
for other bugs, they are inevitable in a remote build).

Yet another way: install VMware Server and reproduce the Java bug in a
virtual machine (it is reproducible here). The virtual "vmware" driver
supports XINERAMA if you add the following in xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
	Identifier "Generic video card"
	Driver "vmware"
	Option "Xinerama" "on"
	Option "StaticXinerama" "512x768+0+0;512x480+512+0"
EndSection

--
Alexander E. Patrakov