wireless service script

Simon Scheiwiller simon at hornweb.ch
Fri Jul 28 13:19:01 PDT 2006

Hello

I finally managed to install my crappy old 802.11b wireless card (which
works now on linux far better than on windows with the official driver
:-). With Joe Ciccone's script I could even bring it up at startup. But
what I didn't like about the instructions on
http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/WirelessTools was how it
obtains the IP-Address - with a file 02-[service]. I'd rather put these
informations in the /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ssid/[ssid] file, so
the configuration can be dependent on the wireless network. I just
included the portions from the ifup and ifdown scripts in the wireless
service script to read which service to run and do it, and renamed the
SERVICE variable to WLAN_SERVICE to avoid confusion. So in the [ssid]
files you can include the same variables as in the
ifconfig.[device]/[service] file (except the changed name for the service
variable). Another thing I changed in the script is a "ifconfig [device]
up" command, followed by "sleep 3". This is because of my card - without
the command the script has to run a second time to make the connection. I
don't know another place to put the command yet, so I left it there for
the moment.

Hope it works generally, and not only on my system :-)

Simon

--
simon scheiwiller
bollstrasse 21