Gnome Screensaver

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 08:38:40 PDT 2006

On 7/4/06, Randy McMurchy <randy at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Dan Nicholson wrote these words on 07/04/06 10:21 CST:
>
> > I'm working on a diff to the Linux-PAM page now for pam_console. Would
> > you like me to make changes for ${sbindir} and setuid unix_chkpwd, or
> > do you want to discuss it more?
>
> Are you saying that pam_console requires unix_chkpwd to be in /sbin?

No, it installs another binary called pam_console_apply. It doesn't
strictly need to be in /sbin, but the default conf files expect it to
be there. Obviously, the binary can be moved after the fact or the
conf file can be changed.

Now I'm looking at the Linux-PAM source again. unix_chkpwd doesn't
need to be in /sbin. pam_unix has its path built in at build time. So
${sbindir} doesn't have to be changed.

> Additionally, how exactly are you changing the PAM instructions to
> include a mention for pam_console? Keep in mind, that only on rare
> occasions would we recommend to using something not provided by the
> maintainer.

I'm not recommending it. You asked me to look into changing the
instructions in the Gnome-2.14.2 bug. I'm would add text that RedHat
has developed some external modules including pam_console. Some
packages like HAL and G-V-M can use it. If you want to use
pam_console, blah blah blah.

--
Dan