Gnome Screensaver

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 3 18:01:56 PDT 2006

Hi all,

Has anyone had any success trying to unlock the screen using the PAM
authentication scheme with Gnome Screensaver? I have spent more time
on it than I care to admit and have not been able to do it. What I
mean BTW, is that once locked, I cannot unlock the screen using the
authentication mechanism.

I feel really comfortable with setting up PAM to work with applications,
but this one has my number. Anyone with any information that may be of
some help is encouraged to speak up.

I'd like to add Gnome Screensaver to the book, but right now I cannot
because in my opinion it doesn't work. Somebody, please prove me
wrong.

Additionally, I'm trying to use 2.14.2, and I've also tried 2.15.3.
I tested the 2.15.3 version because in the ChangeLog it says
(paraphrased) "Modified the PAM setup so that it actually works".

This tells me that there is something strange going on, and is not
really fixed, but yet works on the developers machine.

BTW, screen locking using XScreenSaver (linked with PAM) works
perfectly for me.

--
Randy

rmlscsi: [bogomips 1003.27] [GNU ld version 2.16.1] [gcc (GCC) 4.0.3]
19:53:00 up 52 days, 11:53, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00