The Gimp

Randy McMurchy LFS-User at mcmurchy.com
Sat Mar 27 21:55:53 PST 2004

Hi all,

"The Gimp" version 2.0 has been released and is considered stable by the
folks at http://www.gimp.org/. Here's a blurb from the web site:

"This release is a major event, marking the end of a three year development
cycle by a group of volunteers and enthusiasts who have made this the most
professional release of the GIMP ever. It is the first stable release that
is officially supported not only on Unix-based operating systems, but also
on Microsoft Windows and Macintosh OS X."

I installed 2.0 this evening and it built perfectly. The requirements and
optional packages are noted at http://www.gimp.org/source/.

Here are some notes and caveats about the package.

1. The package ships without any documentation. The README file claims
documentation will be provided in a future release.

2. The Gimp 2.0 can live peaceably with previous versions. The executable
has been named gimp-2.0 to avoid a conflict with prior versions.

3. The Gimp executable is almost 45 megabytes. Wow!

4. Building the package was nothing more than:
./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
make
make install

There were no errors or unusual events during the build on my x86 system. It
took 18 minutes to perform the "make". Compare that to about 12 minutes for
the make of glibc.

5. I played around with it for a while, opening files of various types, and
noticed no problems with the application.

I have notes on my installation (prerequisite packages I had installed, disk
space utilization, files installed, etc.). I can provide this information if
anyone is interested.

Overall, it looks like a decent graphics package. I've used Adobe Photoshop
for years and years, and it appears at first glance "The Gimp" is not quite
the package Photoshop is. But from first glance, an outstanding open-source
free graphics implementation.

--
Randy