famd bootscript, courier, and next bootscript release

Randy McMurchy randy at _remove-spamkill_mcmurchy.com
Sat Mar 27 13:01:39 PST 2004

On Saturday, March 27, 2004 at 2:52 PM, Nathan Coulson wrote:

> Earlier, I made a script for fam, which was
> loadproc fam -T 0
>
> and then BLFS updatef fam, which has famd instead of fam.  Nobody replied
> to me if the -T 0 parameters still applied.

Nathan, the -T 0 argument is still valid. The FAM daemon is meant to
be run from a superserver (inetd, xinetd). It activates on user demand
and 5 seconds after requests to the daemon have stopped, it dies.

If the daemon is requested to be started at boot time, the -T 0
argument keeps the daemon alive indefinitely. The -T (#) syntax is
the time (in seconds) to keep the daemon alive after a process is
finished with it. A 0 (zero) keeps the daemon alive until the
system is brought down or the daemon is manually killed.

So, if one wants to start FAM at boot time, it only makes sense to
put a -T 0 on it, or it will die. There would be no sense in starting
it at boot time without the -T 0.

I hope this helps.

--
Randy