XFree86 suggested changes

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 24 13:52:40 PST 2004

> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Archaic wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:18:21AM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>> >
>> > Have you actually encountered situations in which this file isn't
>> > created with the correct permissions automatically by XFree86?  I've
>> > been nuking /tmp on boot (and/or using tmpfs, which accomplishes the
>> > same end) for some time now and I've never had this happen, and not
>> once
>> > have I ever bothered to create it on my own.
>>
>> Supposedly, if you start X with startx as non-root and open an
>> application that requires this, the dir at least used to be created
>> with the current user as owner. I think the key was startx, IIRC.
>> However, I don't run anything that requires this dir, so I can't say for
>> sure.
>>
>  Sounds likely.  I didn't have .ICE-unix on my latest test build, only
> .X11-unix, and I'm a dedicated startx person.
>
> Ken
> --

I'm actually basing my opinion on the threads I remember from earlier [I
think KDE took longer to start, if it was not setup right]  (I give the
last thing in [] a 75% chance of being true.  it's been a while).

It is also mentioned on the XFree86 page in BLFS.

*shrug*, I didn't like the idea of wiping /tmp, if XFree86 doesnt create
that file properly [it cant, if it's not run by root].  and I admit I dont
actually know what it does *shrug*.

anyway, it's there if you wish to use it.