XFree86 suggested changes

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 09:58:13 PST 2004

Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 01:04, Nathan Coulson wrote:
>

>>Ok, the lfs-bootscripts [2.0.0] remove the contents of /tmp on bootup.
>>
>>which means, the /tmp/.ICE-unix file get's deleted.
>>
>>We have a file called /etc/sysconfig/createfiles [processed by
>>/etc/rc.d/init.d/cleanfs], with additional information in the README file.
>>
>>I suggest you add
>>cat > /etc/sysconfig/createfiles << "EOF"
>>dir root root 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
>>EOF
>>
>>which will create the file with the proper permissions.  (This wont work
>>in the 1.12 bootscripts).
>>

>Have you actually encountered situations in which this file isn't
>created with the correct permissions automatically by XFree86?  I've
>been nuking /tmp on boot (and/or using tmpfs, which accomplishes the
>same end) for some time now and I've never had this happen, and not once
>have I ever bothered to create it on my own.

Atleast in XFree86-4.3.x, the file was created with the wrong ownership.
Don't know about XFree86-4.4.0. This
<http://search.linuxfromscratch.org/index.cgi?metaname=swishdefault&sort=swishrank&query=%22%2Ftmp%2F.ICE-unix%22>

search has pointers to the discussuion on the topic. Especially checkout
the posts by Kelledin.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org