XFree86 suggested changes

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Wed Mar 24 09:35:04 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:18:21AM -0600, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:

> Have you actually encountered situations in which this file isn't
> created with the correct permissions automatically by XFree86?  I've
> been nuking /tmp on boot (and/or using tmpfs, which accomplishes the
> same end) for some time now and I've never had this happen, and not once
> have I ever bothered to create it on my own.

Supposedly, if you start X with startx as non-root and open an
application that requires this, the dir at least used to be created
with the current user as owner. I think the key was startx, IIRC.
However, I don't run anything that requires this dir, so I can't say for
sure.

--
Archaic

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire,
a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it
be left to irresponsible action."

- George Washington, in a speech of January 7, 1790