Reorganizing the book

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Mar 23 17:13:45 PST 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> LFS moved from putting the init scripts in the book to making a
> package out of it and installing the lfs-bootscriptss package instead.
> If you are suggesting that the bootscripts be included in the BLFS
> book, then they should also be included in the LFS book since IMO the
> init scripts in LFS have more educational value than BLFS. (Most of
> the BLFS init scripts fall in "run_proc server_executable" for
> starting and "kill_proc server_executable" category which IMO is very
> uninteresting.)

It looks like LFS changed from having the scripts to a package around
version 3.2 -- (2001?)
Looking back, I'm not sure that was the right way to go.  I don't have a
problem with having the scripts in a package, but I do think the book
lost something from an educational point of view.  Doing both would be
reasonable.  Glancing at version 3.1, I do think the scripts needed to
be explained a bit better.  inittab was good, but rc and the other
scripts were a bit light.

If the full script was omitted and the startup, shutdown, reload lines
are in the appropriate sections, I could go along with that, but just
referring to a package loses too much educational info.

  -- Bruce