MySQL 4.0.18 Installation
randy at _remove-spamkill_mcmurchy.com
Mon Mar 22 23:08:46 PST 2004
Some notes on the BLFS (CVS) installation of MySQL 4.0.18:
1. One of the optional dependencies is readline-4.3. But to use the
system installed readline, you must pass a --without-readline
switch to ./configure, otherwise MySQL uses the bundled copy.
There is no mention of this in the installation.
2. One of the optional dependencies is OpenSSL. But to configure
MySQL to use SSL you must pass the --with-openssl and --with-vio
switches to ./configure. There is no mention of this in the
3. To configure MySQL to use the libwrap library (tcp-wrappers), you
must pass the --with-libwrap=/usr/lib switch to ./configure and
have installed tcp-wrappers. Perhaps this should be mentioned as
an option in the installation (with the optional dependency noted).
4. Perhaps the --without-bench switch to ./configure would be best
left as an option. At a minimum, the builder should be aware that
not including this switch builds a nice test platform to test
the installation (some Perl modules are also required).
5. The init script stop section does not include a database shutdown
command. I'm not sure if this is oversight or what.
6. The last instruction of the installation is to update the
/etc/ld.so.conf file with /usr/lib/mysql. Perhaps this is
unnecessary as all the shared libraries are moved to /usr/lib
earlier in the installation.
More information about the blfs-dev