httpd-2.0.48

Jonas Norlander jonas.norlander at ovikonline.com
Mon Mar 22 14:15:15 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 03:42:47PM -0600, Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some thoughts and notes about the BLFS installation of the Apache 2
> server:
>
> 1. httpd-2.0.49 has been released - bug fixes and security
>    enhancements - http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/Announcement2.html
>
> 2. The .49 release installs IAW the existing BLFS instructions.
>
> 3. The configure patch applies with a slight offset on the first
>    file.
>
> 4. The mod_ssl module will *not* be created without using the
>    --enable-ssl switch on ./configure
>
> 5. My compliments to whoever created the patch to incorporate
>    the <LFS Layout>
>
> I think the BLFS instructions should include the --enable-ssl
> switch. This way, the mod_ssl.so file is created. In order to
> load the module, one still has to include a LoadModule line in the
> httpd.conf file. Including the --enable-ssl switch is a no-lose
> situation.

The build instructions for apache list OpenSSL as an optional dependency,
but nothing about that you need to pass --enable-ssl to ./configure to
build the SSL module.

If the book mention OpenSSL and --enable-ssl it should also explaine how to make
a certificate and configure settings in the http.conf file to be enabled to
start the webserver with ssl enabled.

Personally I would like to see this described in the book.

/ Jonas