Reorganizing the book

Bill's LFS Login lfsbill at nospam.dot
Mon Mar 22 07:10:14 PST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Bill's LFS Login wrote:
>
> >I think the scripts fall into this category. "Hey, the book say make
> >... and everything just works, now need to go looking for trouble
> >here!". And bingo, we just lost a small battle in the educational war.
> >

> LFS moved from putting the init scripts in the book to making a package
> out of it and installing the lfs-bootscriptss package instead. If you
> are suggesting that the bootscripts be included in the BLFS book, then
> they should also be included in the LFS book since IMO the init scripts
> in LFS have more educational value than BLFS. (Most of the BLFS init
> scripts fall in "run_proc server_executable" for starting and "kill_proc
> server_executable" category which IMO is very uninteresting.)

Excellent point. For some reason, I didn't think about when LFS did it.
Maybe means the argument is a weak one, or I was overloaded then, or ...

Anyway, my mood today  ;)  seems focused on the edu side. Because I'm
not n00b, I do like the convenience. But I'm willing to forego that if
overall view would prefer keeping all in the book(s). Or not.

Bill Maltby
lfsbillATearthlinkDOTnet