Reorganizing the book

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun Mar 21 17:26:32 PST 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Regarding the educational value of including it in the book (IMO)
> there is nothing gained. The script is installed on the user's system.
> He can always look at the script to check it out.

I'm not sure I agree that nothing is gained.  BLFS has much more varied
packages than LFS.  I think its important for users to see differences
and similarities in printed form (or at least screen form in line with
the other instructions).  What options are given to package x when
starting.  Is there a difference between reload (e.g. send a -HUP) and
restart (e.g. stop and restart)?  What is the S number and K number for
the script?  The easiest way to explain the differences is to just
display the scripts.

If you must have a procedure, go ahead and add it.  But lets not take it
out of the book.  I know it can lead to unsynchronized scripts, but
prevent that is the  responsibility of the editors.

  -- Bruce