Reorganizing the book

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 21 12:22:01 PST 2004

Randy wrote:

>On Saturday, March 20, 2004 at 9:17 PM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>

>>Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>>

>>>    * Remove all init.d scripts from the book and replace them by make
>>>      install-<init-script>.
>>>

>>One objection. This lowers the educational value of the book. One
>>understands the script when he reads it (e.g. before copying and pasting),
>>not while he blindly types an obscure command to install it.
>>

>I tend to agree with this. Using an install-<init-script> routine
>totally blinds the builder from understanding the init process
>(should it be new territory for him).

Then shouldn't the scripts be also included in the LFS book? Surely the
init scripts included there have more educational value than the ones in
the BLFS.

I think sometime around LFS-3.x, it was decided  that it was better to
seperate out the scripts from the book and create a seperate package.

The statement in the Perl package is because as long as the auto module
installation works perfectly it is ok. But if things need to be patched,
it creates problems.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/