Reorganizing the book

Randy randy at spam_this.org
Sun Mar 21 11:42:54 PST 2004

On Saturday, March 20, 2004 at 9:17 PM, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>
> >     * Remove all init.d scripts from the book and replace them by make
> >       install-<init-script>.
>
> One objection. This lowers the educational value of the book. One
> understands the script when he reads it (e.g. before copying and pasting),
> not while he blindly types an obscure command to install it.

I tend to agree with this. Using an install-<init-script> routine
totally blinds the builder from understanding the init process
(should it be new territory for him). Furthermore, it tends to
contradict the statement made in the Perl modules installation
section about the use of Perl's built in install command.

"Though note that it is not very LFS-like thing to do and as
such is not supported :)"

--
Randy