[Proposal] Create a lfs-scripts package

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 20 12:17:52 PST 2004

Bill's LFS Login wrote:

>Trying to find negatives first ...

:-)

>I can only easily see one objection. That is the long-espoused desire to
>install only what is needed for a basic platform (even anything beyond
>an ifconfig for a network card was resisted for a long while) and
>minimal utilities/user work environment. I'm not sure this would have
>much strength in this case though. See "... positives" below.

Nothing will be installed. Atleast that's now how I had envisoned it.
The package would be somewhat similar to lfs-bootscripts. There would be
scripts that would be useful to a LFS user. In the appropriate sections
in the book, these scripts would be mentioned. This would avoid
including the files in the book. For example in the Compressing Man and
Info Pages, the current text would be retained but for the installation
of the compressdoc script, the user would be referred to the lfs-scripts
page.

>Racking brain ... another possible arg might appear that we don't want
>to maintain our own custom packages. I believe lfs-utils was disparaged
>on this premise (and for other reasons) in a few posts.

It is not a package, more of a collection. Somewhat similar to the
patches project. lfs-utils was diparaged because it took an already
existing package and repackaged it under the lfs banner.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/