Spam update -- getting somewhere

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 20 10:03:35 PST 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I don't see the need to allow either html or zips on these lists.  In
> order to participate in a community, one should follow that
> community's rules.  It seems to me similar to a protocol.  If you wnat
> to communicate, you need to do so in the form acceptable by the receiver.
> Also, there is no reason be rude about it.  A polite explaination that
> says we've found it necessary for a varitey of reasons, spam being
> just one, is appropriate.

I agree. If lfs-* lists will not accept HTML mails, then by the time the
users graduate from LFS to BLFS, they will already know the protocol. So
there is no point in blocking HTML mail on lfs-* and allowing it on blfs-*.

> deally, I'd like to see _valid_ posts with html put up with the
> html/zips stripped with a tag saying the message has been modified.
> OTOH, I've seen some spam that has been base64 or otherwise encoded.
> Anything that is encoded that way should just go to /dev/null.

I think mailman can convert an HTML mail into text. Though am not 100% sure.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/