Spam update -- getting somewhere

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Mar 19 11:58:00 PST 2004

Bill's LFS Login wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>

>>Block both zip attachments and HTML mails.
>>

>IIRC, Bill O'Conner wanted HTML allowed? Maybe team discussion or team
>leader decision needed?

I don't see the need to allow either html or zips on these lists.  In
order to participate in a community, one should follow that community's
rules.  It seems to me similar to a protocol.  If you wnat to
communicate, you need to do so in the form acceptable by the receiver.

Also, there is no reason be rude about it.  A polite explaination that
says we've found it necessary for a varitey of reasons, spam being just
one, is appropriate.  Ideally, I'd like to see _valid_ posts with html
put up with the html/zips stripped with a tag saying the message has
been modified.

OTOH, I've seen some spam that has been base64 or otherwise encoded.
Anything that is encoded that way should just go to /dev/null.

  -- Bruce