gtk+2.4.0 released

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Fri Mar 19 09:36:49 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:29, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> On Don, 2004-03-18 at 23:14, Kelledin wrote:
> > Presumably Gnome 2.6 will take care of most or all of this; it's
> > supposedly due out pretty soon.  Still, I'm considering advising
> > the Gnome developers to exclude those flags in "release"
> > packages.  That sort of thing is good for developers (the same
> > way "gcc -Wall -Werror" is) but causes problems for end-users
> > trying to compile "released" packages.  Beyond the annoyance of
> > having a compile break, it can also cause latent instability
> > even if the package appears to compile successfully.
>
> This has already been done, at least most of the packages now include
> these flags only in maintainer builds. Gnome 2.6 (as of RC1) builds of
> course seamless without any Makefile modifications.

Actually, I spoke too soon.  After about a half-dozen recompiles...

audacity: relocation error: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so: undefined
symbol: _gtk_accel_group_attach

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 13, in ?
    from wxPython.wx import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20,
in ?
    import wxc
ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so: undefined symbol:
_gtk_accel_group_detach

The irksome thing is that I've seen commentary on the Gtk+ list (from
some prudent Googling) to the effect that this function isn't something
wxGTK should be messing with.
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org