gtk+2.4.0 released

Kelledin kelledin+BLFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Thu Mar 18 14:14:34 PST 2004

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 10:05 pm, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> > Just thought I'd let you all know that it's out (as are atk,
> > glib and pango of course).  Apparently it's both source and
> > binary compatible with the 2.2 releases so it should be a
> > simple version bump...there I go tempting fate again :)
>
> I was a little concerned about them saying it was both source
> and binary compatible with 2.2.x as well, and at this point
> about 1/2 my Gnome stuff is rebuilt with the new libraries in
> place and I haven't seen any problems at all.  Nice.  :)

Well, it's source-compatible for stuff that doesn't turn on the
"*_DISABLE_DEPRECATED" macros.  Otherwise there might be some
compile breakage.  I've encountered this breakage in perhaps ten
Gnome 2.4 packages; it's a simple enough fix to just remove the
offending -D flags in the Makefiles.

Presumably Gnome 2.6 will take care of most or all of this; it's
supposedly due out pretty soon.  Still, I'm considering advising
the Gnome developers to exclude those flags in "release"
packages.  That sort of thing is good for developers (the same
way "gcc -Wall -Werror" is) but causes problems for end-users
trying to compile "released" packages.  Beyond the annoyance of
having a compile break, it can also cause latent instability
even if the package appears to compile successfully.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"