changes for consolidation

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Tue Mar 16 10:44:07 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:17:57 +0100 Reinhard <bookreader at gmx.com> wrote:

> Following this "weakness" a scanner will never have a chance to do it
> right.

The book is meant for reading, not for automated processing.
Furthermore, the book is just a guideline. The build instructions it
offers are by no means the best possible ones. I think even the term
"recommended" would be overstating their significance. The BLFS book is
*meant to be deviated from* much moreso than the LFS book. As a
consequence it is much less useful as a source for automated
script-generation. I consider any development in the direction of
streamlining BLFS to be used for brainless installing of packages with
minimal user interaction a bad move. BLFS is a pick-an-choose book meant
to be read by people who do things by hand. If you do things by hand,
every dependency is an additional burden and you want to know about any
shortcut available.
If you want a dependency graph useful for automated processing, create a
new document.

MSB

--
I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose.