changes for consolidation

Matthias Benkmann msbREMOVE-THIS at winterdrache.de
Tue Mar 16 05:25:21 PST 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:58:08 +0100 Reinhard <bookreader at gmx.com> wrote:

> I don't know, whether you agree on this:
> If configure checks the system and the build will succeed without a
> package, this package is optional.

I think this makes sense, but I would weaken it to:
If the build succeeds in absence of package X with the book's build
instructions OR the book informs the user about an extra option to make it
succeed in absence of package X, then package X is optional.

So in the case of ffmpeg, if the build succeeds in absence of XFree86 if
--disable-ffplay is passed, XFree86 is optional IF the book text mentions
this option. If it doesn't mention this option (even if not in the default
build instructions), this is what should be fixed, instead of making
XFree86 a required dependency. Useful configure switches should be
documented in the book, even if they are not used by the book's
recommended default instructions.

MSB

--
Entropy isn't what it used to be.